News from The HR Dept - CORONAVIRUS HUB
There has been an important update to the extended coronavirus job retention scheme that will change the way furlough can be used from 1st December.
Furlough and redundancies
The latest official government guidance states that for November claim periods, employers can continue to claim for furloughed employees serving a statutory notice period but cannot use grants to substitute redundancy payments.
For claims starting on or after December 1st, 2020, employers cannot claim for furloughed employees serving a contractual or statutory notice period. This includes employees serving notice of resignation or retirement.
If an employee starts a contractual or statutory notice period on a day covered by a previously submitted claim, employers will need to make an adjustment.
Take care when making redundancies
The redundancy process carries risk and correct procedures must be followed in order to comply with employment law.
For furloughed employees who will be made redundant, statutory redundancy and statutory notice pay should be based on normal pay and not the reduced furlough wage.
Furlough extension summary
Below is a recap on what we know so far about the extended scheme:
- The furlough scheme has been extended until the end of March 2021 and applies to the UK.
- Eligible employees will continue to receive 80% of their pay for hours unworked.
- Employers will contribute National Insurance and pension payments only. However, the policy will be reviewed in January to assess if further employer contributions will be necessary.
- Because of the furlough extension, the Job Retention Bonus no longer applies. The government will re-deploy a retention incentive at a later date.
- The furlough extension continues to replace the Job Support Scheme.
Visit our coronavirus job retention scheme faq for more information and contact us if you have questions about claiming furlough or the redundancy process for your business.
The HR Dept
HR and Employment Law Advice
The HR Dept Eastbourne, Brighton and Hove provides a comprehensive outsourced HR service for small to medium sized businesses across Eastbourne, Brighton and Hove and the surrounding areas including Lewes, Newhaven, Seaford and Hailsham. We understand that your workforce is your most valuable resource, but you may need help to attend to your ongoing and ever-changing HR responsibilities. An affordable outsourced HR service enables you to have a professional HR department without the expense of hiring your own HR Manager.
At The HR Dept Eastbourne, Brighton and Hove, we will take time to understand you, your business and your people. We will work with you to identify your Human Resource needs and provide a tailored response, ensuring legal compliance and provide ongoing support where needed. Most importantly, The HR Dept Eastbourne, Brighton and Hove offer services that are adaptable and cost-effective, helping you to build a better business and boost your profits.
Many small businesses cannot afford to employ a HR professional to ensure that they are legally compliant with the never ending tide of employment legislation. The HR Dept can free up your time to concentrate on running and developing your business.
Our retained outsourced HR service includes:
- Unlimited phone and email support, backed up by legal indemnity insurance against tribunal costs and expenses, provided
our advice is followed from the onset of an issue
- An initial free review of your employment contracts
- A regular review of handbooks and policies to help you comply with ever changing employment legislation
- Practical help in dealing with disciplinary, grievance and absenteeism cases
- Support in recruitment and performance management
- Managing the redundancy process
We can provide what you need, when you need it, how you need it, designed for the needs of your business. As a small, locally based business, we understand the special needs of small to medium sized organisations and provide down to earth, tailored, pragmatic solutions at sensible prices.
So if you are a business in the Eastbourne, Brighton and Hove or surrounding area and in need of outsourced HR support, please call us now. Don’t forget to request your FREE review of your existing contracts and handbooks.
Call 01323 403500 or 07875 702 914 or email
Business hours: contact us